The Allotments of the village are maintaining their popularity; however, the Allotment Committee (as of January 2020) currently has a number of plots available.
Those living within the Parish Boundary will have priority when vacant plots are allocated; however, those in surrounding locations can still apply.
The Parish Council entrusts the management of the Allotment Site to The West Bergholt Allotment Holders Site Committee (see below); they meet about three times a year. Volunteers make up the committee and provide an interface between plot holders and the Parish Council; they help maintain the standards and rules applied by the Parish Council and interests of plot holders.
If you are interested in taking on an allotment then please do please contact the Allotment Association Committee. Details are on the notice board at the allotment site, as are the names of those currently waiting for a plot. Or, you can just apply either by email to email@example.com, or phone 01206 241256, with the following details:
- date of birth,
- full address,
- phone number &
- email address
Minutes & Notices
- Minutes of the 17th Jan 2019 WBAH committee meeting;
- Minutes of the 11th Apr 2019 WBAH committee meeting;
- Minutes of the 25th Jul 2019 WBAH committee meeting
- Minutes of the 17th Oct 2019 WBAH committee meeting;
- Minutes of the 16th Jan 2020 WBAH committee meeting;
- No Vehicular Access November to March;
- Allotment Guidelines – helpful hints;
- Sowing dates – a typical calendar;
- Seasonal Tips – Allotment Vegetable Growing website (external link – WBPC makes no warranty in respect of this link which has been added in good faith having been found to be in good order when added).
Recent Allotment News
To read the whole article please click on the heading…
- Day 64 of (un?) Lockdown – the Spare Plants edition - Day 64 of (un?) Lockdown Day 64 seems to be full of controversy but not much news. Here is what little we have, news relating to the allotments first and then a couple of health-related items from ECC. As ever,…
- Day 63 of (un?) Lockdown – the Old Church edition - Day 63 of (un?) Lockdown The main news item for day 63 is an update on the Old Church renovations followed by a few updates from our government, and some fun at the end. But first, we have a tall…
- Day 58 of (is it?) Lockdown – the Life in Lockdown edition - Day 58 of (is it?) Lockdown On day 58 we get the chance to finish what we started on day 57; the Essex Life in Lockdown article inviting you to share your lockdown story. After that: Consultation on Police Priorities,…
- Day 10 of Lockdown – The Police Edition - Day 10 of Lockdown Our day 10 report starts with an update on NEEB's appeal. After that, we put together two reports found online yesterday. Essex Police had noted there had been an uptick in cars on roads and Essex…
- Day 2 of Lockdown – Recycling Edition - Day 2 of Lockdown So Day 2 of the COVID-19 lockdown and hopefully everybody is getting into the swing of things. It helps that the skies are blue especially if you are able to get outside for your daily exercise. …
- Day 1 of (Soft) Lockdown - Day 1 of (Soft) Lockdown As you might imagine, as we sit here in our homes on Day 1 of a relatively soft lockdown, advice and news keep flowing. This update summarises some of the most relevant: Allotments remain open…
- Allotments Spring Update – COVID-19 - Allotments Spring Update The following Spring Update has been issued by the Allotments Committee: Hello Plot holders Unfortunately, due to the Coronavirus, we have had to make some important changes to the way we are running the allotments from now. These…
- Environment & Highways – 14th November 2019 - Environment & Highways - 14th November 2019 The Environment & Highways Committee of West Bergholt Parish Council met on 14th November 2019 and discussed: Budget, Trees & Ponds, Playground, Road repairs, Allotments, Fireworks, Handymen & Snow preparations. Environment & Highways Report…
- Environment & Highways Agenda – 18th July 2019 - Environment & Highways Agenda - 14th February 2019 Meeting in the Social Club meeting room at 5:30 pm on 18th July, members of the public are welcome to attend the next meeting of the Environment & Highways Committee. They will…
- Allotments Get Interest from BBC Essex Radio - Allotments Get Interest from BBC Essex Radio BBC Essex Radio runs a regular show called Essex Quest and a recent episode saw them visiting West Bergholt. The episode which aired on 16th June (still available to hear online until approx…
To view all Allotment Notices & News please visit the news feed tagged allotments as follows:- https://westbergholt.net/topic/clubs/allotments/.
Trustees of the Allotments
West Bergholt Parish Council is the sole trustee of the New Allotments Trust.
All Parish Councillors are automatically members of the New Allotments Trust. The Trust Secretary is Laura Walkinshaw (Parish Clerk), 80 Chapel Rd, W Bergholt, CO6 3HL, 01206 240772.
Allotment Holders’ Site Committee
|Chairperson||Terry Claydon||01206 241256
|Committee Members||Harry Stone
|Mervyn Donnelly||01206 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Graham Welham||01206 email@example.com|
|Paul Walker||07943 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Lynda Robinson||01206 email@example.com|
|Stuart Meadows||01206 firstname.lastname@example.org|
(Any plot holder wishing to join the committee should contact the Chairperson).
Allotment Dates for Oct 2019 – Sep 2020
First Tuesday in the month between Oct 2019 and Sep 2020:
- 1st Oct,
- 5th Nov,
- 7th Apr,
- 5th May,
- 2nd Jun,
- 7th Jul,
- 4th Aug, and
- 1st Sep.
All 18:00 – 20:00 except Nov 16:00 – 18:00.
All Plot Holders Welcome. These will take place on Sunday 19th April and Sunday 26th July and start at 10.00.
Site Plot Inspections:
During April, August and December 2020.
Starting at 19:30 on:
- 17th October,
- 16th January 2020,
- 9th April, and
- 16th July.
The following rules have been issued by West Bergholt Parish Council with effect from 1st July 2015.
- Chapel Road allotments are available for the purposes of cultivation only.
- Allotment tenancies to be held from the 1st October to 30th September annually. Rent invoices will be distributed early in September. Rents for this year only will be for 18 months from Apr 2017 to Sep 2018. Payments can be made by cheque or cash with payment slips which should be returned to Clerk of Parish Council – Mrs Laura Walkingshaw, 80 Chapel Road, West Bergholt, Colchester, CO6 3HL (Cheques made payable to West Bergholt Parish Council with name and plot no(s) on the back).
Alternatively you can pay by BACS directly into the village account using the details below and adding the reference “Allotments” together with your plot no(s): “West Bergholt Parish Council”. Barclays Bank A/C 90949280 Sort Code 20-22-67.
- The Parish Council will, at its meeting in October, take proceedings to recover unpaid rents or to reallocate unpaid plots.
- No allotment holder may sub-let his or her holding or any part thereof without the written consent of the Clerk to the Parish Council, but those tenants who find difficulty in managing a plot, yet wish to continue a tenancy, are encouraged to find a friend with whom to share.
- Allotment holders wishing to give up a plot can give notice to the Clerk to the Parish Council at any time and not later than 30th September, failing which they will be responsible for the succeeding year’s rent.
- Any vacant plot will be allocated according to the waiting list held by the Allotment Management Committee.
- If, in the opinion of the Council, any piece of allotment has been badly cultivated, or less than ¾ is cultivated, the holder shall, after being warned by the Council, forfeit the same at the end of a period of notice of 1 month.
- Any plot holder terminating a tenancy or having a tenancy withdrawn will be allowed a 14 day period to clear their plot. This may be extended by the Parish Clerk in exceptional circumstances otherwise the allotment committee will become responsible for all remaining items on a plot and dispose of them appropriately.
- From the 1st Apr 2017 the Plots have been calculated in square metres. Rents will apply depending on 1 of 4 bands which plot falls into. Band A <=80 sqm £10 (£10), Band B 85-105 sqm £16 (£11), Band C 106-130 sqm £19 (£13) and Band D >= 131 sqm £20 (£14) – Note Concessions in Brackets.
- Allotment holders must keep footpaths and tracks adjacent to their plots clean, tidy and reasonably free from weeds – no weed killer should be used on footpaths or tracks. Allotment waste must be composted or disposed of by the allotment holder and must not be placed on any vacant plot, footpath, track or any ditch.
- Allotment holders wishing to erect sheds on their plots must first seek the approval of the Parish Council by submitting in writing the design, size of the shed and proposed location on plot, which should not exceed 6′ x 4’. Sheds are only allowed on in bands B – D; for plots in band A a tool chest only can be erected but it is not to exceed 1 metre high, 1m wide and 2m long. Poly tunnels are to be treated as sheds and should not exceed 10’ X 6’. Greenhouses are not permitted.
- The use of hosepipes from the allotment taps is forbidden. No washing of equipment or veg/fruit should take place in water tanks. Also to ensure no cross contamination between chemicals (i.e. weed killer) and water in tanks. Water supply will be turned off from December 1st to March 31st.
- Fruit trees are to be kept to not more than 10 feet in height. They must be pruned regularly and not impede pathways or neighbouring plots.
- Communal bonfires may be held on the first Tuesday of each month between April and November, weather permitting. Only dry and combustible organic waste should be burnt. No waste should be brought to the site until the afternoon of the fire. The Parish Council is concerned about waste accumulating at the bonfire site and so failure to adhere to this ruling could result in the tenancy of a plot being withdrawn. See Allotment Notice board for actual times, dates and conditions. No other bonfires are permitted. A skip will be provided in mid-November for non-combustible waste.
- All Vehicles are not permitted on to the site whatsoever from the 1st November to the 31st March
During other times access is only for dropping off or picking up equipment/waste etc. and not for parking, unless special permission is given by Parish Clerk. This is to ensure the track is not damaged.
- The bringing of dogs onto the site is strongly discouraged but if it is necessary they must strictly be on a lead and tethered as necessary.
- The Parish Council, as Trustees, reserves the right to amend any of the bylaws.
By Order of the Parish Council
Clerk to the Parish Council