On Day 100 of lockdown Colchester Borough Council looks at launching a Garden Club. Meanwhile not to be outdone, Essex are launching:
… and we end with a bit of fun
Another news short – Colchester Zoo will be opening indoor & play areas from Saturday 4th July.
Proposals for a new options-based garden waste service are being published by Colchester Borough Council. Councillors will Continue reading
On Day 98 of lockdown Wimbledon doesn’t start, yet another sporting casualty of the pandemic. A few topics today, most addressing your mental or physical fitness:
- Latest from Museum from Home,
- Active Essex aims to help you keep physically fit,
- Libraries reopening will help with your mental fitness,
- Colchester Parking Consultation, &
- Wimbledon in music.
Museum from Home
Day 91 lockdown coincides with Windrush Day commemorating the Windrush generation and their legacy. You can find out more about this on Wikipedia and I ‘tip a hat to it’ at the end of the update. The day also sees the start of a week of activity leading up to Armed Forces Day on Saturday which is where we start; other items:
Flag Raising ahead of Saturday’s Armed Forces’ Day
Day 86 starts off with an update from the Parish Council. It is also MC Escher‘s birthday who was famous mostly for his ‘Impossible Stairs’ – navigating the pandemic sometimes seems a bit like this!
A couple of mini-snippets:
- Recycling back to normal apart from textiles on 22nd June,
- Colchester Zoo opens tomorrow pre-booked entrance only,
- If you are going into town, remember to keep left on pavements.
After all that we have:
- An updated Health & Wellbeing plan,
- News about visiting restrictions at local hospitals,
- Expanded Business Support from Essex CC,
- Free Safer Cycling courses,
- Temporary changes to planning rules, and a
- Musical distraction.
Day 81 is when we should have been gathering around TVs seeing the EURO 2020 kicking off – hey ho. Instead, we can:
- Visit the church,
- Walk or cycle around Colchester’s Orbital Routes,
- Answer CBC’s ‘State of Life’ Survey,
- Get help if we are struggling,
- Listen to a Podcast about reading or check some current reading selections, or
- Sit back and enjoy a haircut(?).
St Mary’s Church
St Mary’s is pleased to announce that they will be reopening, Continue reading
Day 80 of (quasi) Lockdown – the Rainbow edition
Castle Park Rainbow
A spectacular floral display, symbolising a message of hope and unity, has been unveiled in Colchester’s Castle Park.
More than 1,500 specialist plants grown for their radiant foliage colour have been used to create the stunning rainbow feature. It expresses Continue reading
Day 77 of (where is?) Lockdown
On day 77 we start off with items of interest to gardeners and then quite a few more news items:
- National Garden Scheme reopens,
- Stay at Home, Grown your own scheme – get a starter kit,
- Today is the beginning of Carers Week,
- Update on the work of the NHS Volunteer Responders,
- How to get new recycling boxes & caddies,
- Essex Police enhance online services offering, and
- The Good Life – gardening in mud.
National Garden Scheme reopens
The National Garden Scheme has just started opening gardens. You have to book a timed entry online (and pay Continue reading
There isn’t much to report on from Day 75 but what few bits have been culled from Social Media. This edition, though, is more about music and the anniversary of D-Day that couldn’t be commemorated as veterans might have liked.
Recycling Nearly Back to Normal
Day 74 of (fluctuating) Lockdown
Day 74 sees a focus on Colchester town centre to start with – actions to make it greener and easier to social-distance kick us off:
- Greener town centre on the way,
- Cheaper parking in the town centre,
- Essex Rural Strategy – Give your views,
- More Scams to look out for,
- Christian Aid Week Outcome, and
- COVID-19 Humour etc…
Health experts and leading cycling and walking campaigners have welcomed ambitious plans to make Colchester town centre streets safer, greener and healthier. Continue reading
Day 66 and we have news from the village first followed by:
- Business Grants available from Colchester Borough Council.
- Colchester Business Survey.
- Updated COVID-19 Guidance from HMRC on a range of issues, and
- Something else.
So, on to the…
Drama this week as a local resident, allegedly under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, came to a sudden unexpected stop. Continue reading