Day 88 starts off with a call for your Lockdown Stories, it then covers:
- Tonnes of Recycling in Lockdown.
- Cleaner Air for Colchester?
- Birth Registration Services to Resume.
- I Wanna Tell You a Story.
Would you like to contribute your story to the Continue reading
Day 77 of (where is?) Lockdown
On day 77 we start off with items of interest to gardeners and then quite a few more news items:
- National Garden Scheme reopens,
- Stay at Home, Grown your own scheme – get a starter kit,
- Today is the beginning of Carers Week,
- Update on the work of the NHS Volunteer Responders,
- How to get new recycling boxes & caddies,
- Essex Police enhance online services offering, and
- The Good Life – gardening in mud.
National Garden Scheme reopens
The National Garden Scheme has just started opening gardens. You have to book a timed entry online (and pay Continue reading
Day 51 and Monty Python
Monty Python kicks us off on day 51. I’m afraid this video reminded me a little of some of the daily briefings we are getting.
Today sees the first day of softening in England, how was it for you? We start with a few government updates – quite a lot came out today; those included here are most relevant to members of the public.
- More Government Guidance.
Further clarifications on access to green spaces, public transport & schools.
- Good Things Foundation.
Trying to ensure everybody is connected.
- Courier Fraud Warning.
Warning from Essex Police.
- Essex to Improve Cycle & Pedestrian Routes with Social Distancing.
Plans announced by Essex County Council.
- Common Sense Called for as Recycling Centres Reopen.
ECC anticipate a rush, probably not good to be a trailblazer.
- A few more Monty Python classics to amuse.
More Government Guidance
Some more guidance updates to ease our way into the common-sense world of soft lockdown, apologies if some of these appear repetitive or, at least, covering the same ground: Continue reading
Day 16 of Lockdown and there’s definitely a lot going on. We have updates from the ECC, CBC, Essex Police and more. Let’s get started:
- CBC has issued an announcement making it clear that this weekend is critical to “flatten the curve”, as the picture (right) says!
- CBC are to restart recycling collections but on a new rota. Garden waste & textile collections remain suspended.
- ECC issue advice on helping you to support your child’s mental wellbeing.
- Essex Libraries see a large uptick in eBook and eAudio use – you can join online.
- Meanwhile, Essex Police have also been busy.
Residents urged to heed advice and stay at home as weather is set to improve
With the weather expected to turn increasingly Spring-like over the weekend, residents are being reminded to follow advice to stay at home, protect lives and help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Continue reading
Day 15 and after two weeks of lockdown it almost seems like the new normal! But, things keep changing. First, there was no recycling, then there was and, the good news, there will be again tomorrow but read on. Also, there were no council meetings but, watch this space! And, again, a little light relief at the end.
Colchester Skip Hire (CSH) were very appreciative of residents respectful behaviour during the recycling collection last Wednesday. Accordingly, they have arranged to collect again tomorrow at Continue reading
Day 8, one whole week under our belt, and a lot has happened. Last week we heard about how recycling was going to be cut back, something the PC were not happy about. Well, the PC has been in discussions with a local company and they are pleased to announce that you can recycle again starting from tomorrow, 1st April. After this announcement, a little light relief in the form of a karaoke-style Tom Jones parody on COVID-19 to sing along to.
West Bergholt Recycling
CSH Environmental Ltd would like to offer a community waste collection service for the recyclable wastes. You can mix paper, card, glass, tins and plastics in clear recycling bags. This is not a kerbside collection but a Continue reading
Day 4 and not as much new news although it is almost a daily ritual now to hear about recycling. Other snippets are:
Recycling (or not)
A little bit too late to help with yesterday’s collection but CBC announced shortly after the Day 3 update that each household may now put out an Continue reading
So Day 2 of the COVID-19 lockdown and hopefully everybody is getting into the swing of things. It helps that the skies are blue especially if you are able to get outside for your daily exercise. Odd not to see vapour trails in the sky but that is probably good for the environment. So, on to news updates:
- Somebody’s crisis can be somebody else’s opportunity. Essex Police advise on how criminals are able to take advantage.
- Allotments Newsletter v2. Updated COVID-19-related guidance.
- Controversially, CBC has announced that it is cancelling all recycling collections apart from Food waste. The Parish Council are NOT happy with this.
Households now need a voucher to collect new or replacement recycling containers from a local stockist. Vouchers have only previously been required for garden waste sacks; this is now being extended to include clear bags, food caddies, and glass/can boxes too. All these containers remain free of charge.
The voucher rollout is being introduced to help Continue reading